American vs. British English

• KobeShow
  • 10680 Aufrufe 88 Antworten

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• I think BE is easier to learn and in school you normaly learn BE. For me personnally I like the BE even more, i don't like the words like "gonna" and so on.
  • Right!

It's been said before by Sprudel. Anyone here thinking they speak either American or British English has no idea. I have yet to hear a German speaking English where I can truely say that it sounds American or British.

The German language is a clear-cut language where the words all sound individual. In English (it doesn't matter which flavour) the words roll into each other more. In French it is even more pronounced.

But as far as I am concerned, American English has nothing more to do with the original British English - the same goes for Australian, Canadian or New Zealand English.

Each version of the language has so many differences that even Brits sometimes have problems speaking with Yanks.

When was the last time you spoke with someone from Switzerland speaking Schwitzer-Deutsch? That is the sort of difference I'm talking about.

BTW, I've been speaking German now for some 27 years and I still don't sound German. Born a Brit, always a Brit.

Greetz, centurian
  • What you learn in school is neither British English nor American English, it is just German school English (no American or British citizen would talk like your German teachers or the German pupils), except for those few happy pupils who have the luck to have a native British teacher.

By the way: Why do you only differenciate between American and British English? Someone from Massachusetts sounds completely different than someone from the Bronx, NY or from San Diego, CA. And someone from the Highlands of Scotland sounds completely different than someone from Cornwall or from East London. I think British English sounds better than American English, but when I hear a well educated professor from Princeton University and a street kid from Manchester, I prefer the American professor.

With Hebrew it is the same: There are so many different ways of speaking and pronouncing. You immediately know where the speaker or his parents came from. You can tell whether he has a Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Skandinavian, German, Austrian, Swiss, French, Spanish, American, Palestinian, Arabian, Indian or African origin.
    Makariy Valentin Yakim Balthazar Mikhaylovitch Krishnikov (Makvayazar Kris [Maq'xa])
  • Hello,

I unterstand the BE better than the US-E, because I have learn the BE in school and I was sometimes in cyprus for holiday.:D

That US-E is better for the most to understand, because it have a much bigger influence. As Example:
    - all the stupid US-TV Shows/Series/Movies and some good
    - and their books & magazines

Maybe if the USA were be not the first Economy&Political and Culturell leader some of you would say BE are better for understanding. But it is primary all the same.
    Englisch stay English.
    And "Sächsisch" stay "Sächsisch":weg:

stan
  • I hate BE because I am an AMERICAN!!!!:mad:
    And I don't like the language at all, let's not start about the writing!!!
    How can you write "colours" sif "colors" is much shorter and easier!!??!!
    It is just disgusting!!:devil:

:rot: :rot: :rot:
  • Weeman90 schrieb:

I hate BE because I am an AMERICAN!!!!:mad:

Ohhh, nice an common American from USA!:D

One BigMacci and one extrasize Coke please.

:löl: :löl: I´ know I´m too stupid.
  • I personally prefer British English, probably coz I lived in England for a while and I also have a British accent! People have even told me that I speak very posh! It depends in what mood I am and how everyone around me talks! Whenever I'm in New York, sometimes I also switch over to the American accent to my surprise, but only occassionally! :)
  • The AE is hard to understand because o learned the BE :)
    but the AE sounds much better than BE
    i dont know why ^^
    maybe because of the strange Be accent ...
    but englisch sounds better unlike other languages ..
  • I think American English is way better than British English.
    It's just when I hear the accent in British English. that's driving me so nuts..
    Their slang is better and instead of saying going to, you say gonna..
    That's way easier and more comfortable too...
    Well, I know that the origen was British english but this english is for me better. I also like this slang here and if I hear British English, it's reminding me of a very formal way to speak English..
    Anyways, everybody can speack what he wants to but I prefer this way.

See ya
    ;) ;)
  • In my humble opinon it is easier to follow a brit conversation on telly instead the mashine gun english
    on us channels. But by the way if anybody trying to speak as clearly as possible you are able to follow
    any conversation and it doesn't matter if you are a native speaker or not.

Cheers
    Pong

P.S. If some brits are using colloquial slang expressions also the brits from other suburbs are lost.
  • as a matter of fact AE is based on BE so i think the americans are just lazy. i admit BE is harder to speak and understand and sometimes it just sounds stupid. but it also can be very funny to listen ^^ little sounds funnier then oxford englisch.

greetz Chais
  • Personally I love both and always enjoy discovering differences between American and British English. I'm not particularly fond of slang, but it's interesting to compare certain words and expression, e.g. guidance councellor vs. careers officer.

The English you learn at school, however, is nothing more but basic knowledge. To truly learn this language you should consider staying abroad for at least a year if you can afford it. Otherwise consider going to the US, BG or Australia as an au-pair or choose an organisation who offers "work and travel". It's definitely worth it!

Cheers, :hot:
    Londo
  • I don really like the BE it's kinda ridiculous. Mostly it just sounds like they got sumthin stuck up in their noses^^
    I simply love the AE, wish I could live in the States..
    Back to topic --> AE is better, street slang is best :D
    PJ
  • I for myself dunno what kind of english I'm speaking (more AE or BE like)...
    most likley no one would even recognise it with all this german accents...so where's the matter
    But to come back to the topic..BE sounds kinder hard and aprupt...dunno how to describe that...
    AE is more like speaking how you want to, it's softer so to say.
    All in all I'd say that everyone should speak the way he or she's most comfortable with...giving worse grades because you use AE insted of BE s kinder creepy
    at last I have to apologise for my bad english skills..
  • AE is better, street slang is best

You have obviously never heard a true Cockney (a londoner who is born within hearing distance of Bow Bells church) talking in rhyming slang!

'I went up the apples to get a clean dicky, cos I'm taking the trouble dancing tonight, but me plates are killin' me!'

apples = apples and pears = stairs
    dicky = dicky dirt = shirt
    trouble = trouble and strife = wife
    plates = plates of meat = feet

It's a joy to listen to, but damn difficult to understand sometimes.

What we learn at school is not real BE it is Oxfort English! Oxfort English is sucks

So does yours but where is Oxfort?
    In England we have an Oxford, and guess what? Oxford English IS British English.:ätsch: :löl:
  • Isn't "Oxford English" just another name for the English that's written in the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of Current English?

Just the clearest way to speak, with a very clear pronounciation and things?

I got English as Leistungskurs in the Oberstufe and I really don't know what English I write oO..

I think BE is better to understand. I watch all movies I got twice, first in German to know the context, the story and to understand what happens, and then in English to hear the original voices, the wordplays, the language that really belongs to this movie.
    So I came to conclusion that I really like British movies, but American movies are hard to understand.
  • Weeman90 schrieb:

I hate BE because I am an AMERICAN!!!!:mad:

Sounds like you've got a big chip on your shoulder young lad. :eek: